Thursday, June 11, 2009

Our Early Bird

I think I've found some more of my DNA in Grayson. His body clock appears to be set as a morning bird and since his daddy is one of the biggest night owls I know, this may be a little of mommy's genetics shining through. 

Grayson wakes up chatting and smiling, typically right on schedule at 7:30 a.m. When he is learning to master new skills like crawling or pulling up he tends to wake up in the 5-6 a.m. range to get in some extra practice. All of this hard work wears the little guy out and he can barely keep his eyes open past 7 p.m. these days. 

His bedtime used to be 8 p.m., but I can't remember the last time he actually made it that long. Grayson's started rubbing his eyes and even laying his face down on his hands when he starts getting sleepy. It's the cutest and most pitiful thing all at the same time. 

Of course, we put him to bed when he's sleepy but I must admit this early to bed, early to rise schedule puts a damper on our evening bonding time. I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune down the road when I can't seem to get him to sleep, but right now when the sun is still high in the sky at 7 p.m. it's hard to get in bedtime mode. 

1 comment:

Erin said...

It sounds like you've got a pretty good sleeper! Aren't those first moments of the morning precious? Baird is always so funny and does/says cute things like: "Mom! It's a bright and shiny day!" I'm impressed that Grayson gets up early on some days to practice new skills. Sounds like he has an excellent work ethic already built in!