Thursday, December 3, 2009

Must. Get. Sleep.

When you have a newborn, you get used to functioning off of only a few hours of sleep. Unfortunately, that skill is quickly lost once your child consistently begins sleeping through the night.

Grayson has been past the night waking stage for nearly a year, but recently has had several bouts of sleep issues. Last night was the latest occurrence. He woke up at 3:30 a.m. and I finally crawled back into my own bed around 6 a.m. I debated about going back to sleep at all since the alarm was close to going off, but I needed sleep so badly, I really didn't care.

He's waking like this because of his terrible teething, but even though we immediately give him a pain reliever when he wakes, he insists on crying hysterically if you do anything besides hold him. If you put him back in the crib before he's totally asleep the crying cycle starts all over again until you pick him up. We've tried letting him cry it out (which worked well in the past), but he just stands in his crib and gets himself so worked up that I'm afraid he'll make himself sick from all the crying.

Luckily it's not happening every night right now (knock on wood), so I've been able to catch up on sleep again before the next round of sleep deprivation hits. The bad news is his final three molars still have not cut through, which I'm afraid means we've got many more sleepless nights in our future.

At this point, I'm open to any and all suggestions. We've tried teething tablets, gum gel, teethers, motrin, tylenol, biting on cold washcloths and on and on and on.

While you fill up the comments section with your brilliant ideas, I'm going to go put my pajamas on. Who cares if it isn't even 8:30 p.m. yet?

2 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

From someone who went through this stage BIG time with Rosalie, I have to say that time is the only tried and true solution in this situation. Eventually, it will pass. I know that is no help while you are in the middle of hell but it sounds like you are trying everything already.

My only other suggestion is to alternate Motrin and Tylenol. Sometimes that is more effective for babies.

Good luck. Hang in there. And make sure Dad gets his fair share of this experience so you can catch some ZZZZs.

Sarah Sampson said...

I ran across your blog quite by accident, I too am a mom of a teether. Try something called Kid-e-cal. Its calcium drops. You can find it at health stores. I guess if your body doesn't have enough calcium it takes the teeth longer to come through and more painful. Works for our little ones. Good luck.