Thursday, October 2, 2014

Oklahoma Wildlife Expo

We've discovered a fun event that is all about Oklahoma wildlife, outdoor sports and nature, plus it's free! The Oklahoma Wildlife Department has an annual wildlife expo which was held last weekend at the Lazy E Arena just north of Edmond.

They had all kinds of nature exhibits, vendor booths and demonstrations. We were there several hours and only saw about 2/3 of everything they had.

Checking out a flint knapping demonstration

We all got to shoot a bow and arrow. They had different sizes for children and adults, even a lefty bow for Michael. It was really fun and I had to hold Michael back from purchasing a bow and target for our backyard. I'm not sure my aim is reliable enough to be shooting that close to other neighbors. Several of my shots flew a bit high.




One exhibit had dozens of different animal pelts and furs you could touch. No thanks! They still have eyes looking at you. So creepy! Reminds me of when I was a child and found my grandmother's minks in her dresser and totally freaked out when she tried to show me how to tie them around my shoulders. 

Of course, Gray and daddy had to touch every single one.

Next stop was painting a bat with watercolors

Talking casting tips with a local bassmaster

Not sure what this is called, but basically you throw heavy sticks at metal ducks (pictured below) and see if you can make their heads fall down. Perhaps this is some form of entertainment in rural America?


I've never seen one of these before, but it is an Atlatl and Gray got to throw several toward a bale of hay. I could see it being a very effective primitive hunting method if you were an expert. 


Next up we learned about the Texas horned lizard from a local biologist. 

Gray showing off his horned lizard mask. They aren't the most cute and cuddly things ever, but Grayson soaked up the biologist's information like a sponge.

Afterward, we ventured a few miles north to Guthrie and ate a late lunch at Stables Cafe. I remember going there with my grandparents as a child and always enjoyed looking at all the stuff they have hanging around the restaurant. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like they have added some more fun stuff!! I am so glad you went! That is where I shot my first and only rifle. I also liked kayaking. MOM

Anonymous said...

Looks like a really fun, learning experience! I remember The Stables from years ago! Glad it's still there and you could go with Gray!
L, Pappa