Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Dentist

This week Grayson had his first trip to the dentist. I happened to have a six month check-up, so I brought him along for the experience. The receptionist actually asked me to bring him because they like for kids to be comfortable in the office prior to any dental work being needed, plus I think they were excited to see him.

The dentist we go to (Dr. Pat) is the same dentist I've gone to my entire life minus the three years we lived in St. Louis. He was just taking over his father's dental practice when I was a child so to differentiate himself from his dad, Dr. Woods, we called him by his first name. Dr. Pat is so laid back, it actually suits him well. The office is like one big family and they, of course, know my whole family since most of us still go there including several cousins.

I was hoping Grayson would be comfortable there too and after charming the receptionist and following around several dental hygienists while I was getting my teeth cleaned, I'd say he was at ease. He got to ride up and down in the chair, play with the suction straw thingy and scored a new toothbrush.

When Dr. Pat came in and checked out my teeth, Grayson was proud to show off his pearly whites as well. We had been practicing saying "ahhh" and opening wide. His mouth is nearly full of teeth now, with only the bottom eye teeth left to break through and they are nearing the surface. After that, we'll have a short break before the next set of molars come around 30 months.

I can't believe we're already at this point. Seeing him in the dentist's chair was such a big boy moment. Where is my gummy, drooly mess of a baby? Tomorrow I'll be writing about the high cost of braces and headgear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A little dirt NEVER hurt anybody, Gray!!!! u no who!