Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Stranger Than Fiction

As many of you know, my husband is a collector of hobbies. Over the 10 years I've known him, Michael's interests have ranged from cycling to cars to computer gadgets to learning instruments to video games to fly fishing to day trading stocks to learning languages to 2-cycle engine repair and many others.

This list is in addition to his artistic pursuits of pottery, photography, sculpture, painting, jewelry making, woodworking, re-upholstery, and (his profession) graphic design. The latest twist in this saga is so strange I find it comical. He's recently been obsessing about vintage turntables and bonsai trees. Yes, you read that right. I can't make this stuff up. Here are photos of two recent acquisitions to prove it:

A Pioneer receiver and speakers which will accompany a future turntable (even though we do not own a single record...yet).

Several seedlings he recruited from our backyard that are "potential" bonsai candidates.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to have hobbies but Michael doesn't really treat these like normal hobbies. He OBSESSES to no end learning about them, researching everything and collecting all kinds of gear to go along with the latest activities. Essentially, his lifelong hobby is to collect endless amounts of stuff as he moves from one interest to another.

As his partner, I have become inspired to take up a new hobby as well. Purging.

3 comments:

soonersdad said...

Maybe he comes by it naturally. How many guys just start tearing apart their kitchens one day and start a complete remodel.

Love,
Popper

Aaron said...

I completely support the vintage stereo equipment (big surprise!)! I'll provide the records once the player is home :)

Lindsay said...

Popper: I only know one man who would do that and he's crazy :)

Aaron: Why am I not surprised that you would fan the flames of this new hobby. I'll remember that!