Monday, January 21, 2008

And so it begins

Well, as you can see I've decided to bite the bullet and join the world of blogging. I was hesitant at first since cyberspace doesn't need another pregnant lady posting about morning sickness and hormones, but then I thought about all of our friends and family so many states and oceans away that would be wanting to stay in the loop on this new chapter of our lives.

Yes, we're on the long and sometimes amusing road to having a baby. My due date is Sept. 9, but I recently read (in one of my 12 pregnancy books) that only 4% of babies are actually born on their due dates. Doctors say it's normal for them to come two weeks prior to this day or two weeks after, which boils down to my first parental lesson...no matter how far science has come in prenatal vitamins, pregnancy studies, or ultrasound imaging, my OBGYN can only get within a month of letting me know when our lives will change forever. That's a reassuring start. Might as well ask the weatherman.

For someone who doesn't really care for numbers, it seems that pregnancy is full of dates and counting.
  • Counting backwards to when your last period began (sorry, I mentioned the p-word fellas).
  • Counting the minutes until the pregnancy test is ready (quite possibly the longest two minutes known to humans).
  • Counting your progress in weeks, then months and finally trimesters.
  • Counting calories and pounds to make sure you're staying healthy.
  • And finally, counting the minutes and seconds between contractions once the big day finally arrives.
I'm sure there are a lot of other things I'll have to count along the way, I just don't want to think about it anymore right now.

In related matters, our up-until-now only child/dog Roxy is counting down the last moments of having her parents all to herself (hence the blog name). If any of you readers don't believe that dogs should live indoors or be treated like family members, then this isn't the blog for you. For three years, our yorkie Roxy has been the apple of our eye. Our parents even refer to her as their grand-dog, which is just one of the hundreds of examples of how she's stolen our hearts. I have no doubt that this pregnancy and eventually the baby's arrival will have a profound affect on our relationship with Roxy, so stay tuned for the gritty details.

Part of the inspiration behind this blog is to relay my pregnancy adventures and learnings, but another inspiration is to capture Roxy's reactions and attitude along the way. She may even be writing a few of her own posts just so you're fully aware of her perspective (yes, I told you she's half human).

So, thanks for joining Michael, Roxy and myself on this unpredictable journey. I know there will be times we'll need your loving support, wisdom, and encouragement that this too shall pass.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Congratulations, Lindsay and Mike! What happy news!!! This little one will be the best thing to happen to you and Roxy. It might take her a few months to come around, but she will--Baird and Louie are best friends now. Congrats again and happy counting!

Love, Erin, Charles, and Baird

P.S. And we are so happy you are blogging. Can't wait for your next post!

Me? A Mom? said...

You'll thank yourself for blogging when it comes time to record things in the baby book!

Congrats again and can't wait to follow the pregnancy saga. Let me be the first to request belly pictures! LOL

Whitney said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! This is so exciting! John and I were together when your email popped up on his blackberry. He held the blackberry to his chest all wide-eyed and couldn't even tell me what he just received via email. It is so strange because just minutes before we received the email, we were talking about you and Mike and how you were totally baby-bound! Can't wait to screech with happiness over the phone with you! Miss and love you!

P.S. I am SO excited about your new blog. Nice work! :)

P.P.S. If the baby stress gets too much for Roxy, she can come stay with Aunt Whitney. John and I will walk her everywhere, feed her puppy paws 24/7, and let her do anything her heart desires.

Unknown said...

So... I'm totally not hip to the blogging thing yet...I just sent you an email when I could have just posted a comment. Anyway, I'll look at your pregnancy as an opportunity for me to get hooked on blogging! E and I are so excited for you and Mike!!!