Thursday, August 27, 2009

Knock on Wood

As I write this post, I realize I'm probably jinxing myself but it seems like Grayson's shrieking may actually be improving. That doesn't mean we don't go a day without hearing it, but he is doing a lot better at using his "words" instead of high pitched vocalizations.

I really think the intense shrieking is his way of expressing himself when he can't find words. Every day I can see the wheels in his head turning as he thinks about and practices new sounds.

Michael and I have been trying a combination of ignoring the shrieks, completely leaving the room/situation, or saying "use your words" then inserting whatever word makes sense at the time. Depending on the situation, our reaction typically gets noticed and the shrieking ceases.

Car rides have become much better and on this evening's commute, Gray contentedly played and babbled with no need for shrill noisemaking.

Tonight at dinner Grayson began shrieking while I was feeding him so I spun his highchair around to face the wall. He immediately stopped and calmed down so I turned him back around and we continued. Once he was done eating, he spent about 15 more minutes munching on puffs and babbling at the table while Michael and I ate -- not one shriek.

I'm sure we'll have good days and bad days in terms of the shrieking, but I must say today was a good day.

No comments: