Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Seriously?

This morning we received a phone call from Grayson's teacher that we never expected. Before I go on, I'm inclined to post a disclaimer that this is a disgusting story.

I'm serious. This is your final warning, so don't blame me if you start gagging after you read this post. It's okay if you need to click away, I won't think any less of you.

So here it goes...

When Miss Lauren called she told us that Grayson had been digging in his diaper and ended up eating his own poop. I'm not talking about a little smear on the finger type of incident, this was a full-on grab a handful and eat it situation. Disgusting.

Lately, we've caught Grayson sticking his hand in the back of his diaper to scratch his butt, however we chalked it up to dry, itchy skin. We've been putting extra lotion on his bottom and lower back to try and prevent the itching, but apparently it's become a habit and he found more than itchy skin this morning.

Michael called our pediatrician's office to see what we should do and they basically just told us to keep an eye on him and bring him in immediately if he vomited, had diaharrea or a fever.

I called the school back after lunch to check in and they said he ate all his lunch and hasn't seemed to have gotten sick from the incident. Now I'm wondering if it's a hunger issue and we should be feeding him more. Either way, it is totally horrible and gross to think about.

He's been fine this evening and managed to put away lots of Mexican food for dinner, so hopefully the worst is over.

I probably shouldn't have shared this on the World Wide Web, but them's the breaks. His 15-year-old self will just have to forgive me.

4 comments:

Shauna Lawyer Struby said...

Okay this cracks me up. Thanks for the laugh today -- sorry if I'm laughing at your expense -- don't mean it that way.

And forgive me but alas I just can't pass up the opportunity to write "Sh*t happens!"

My husband and his twin brother apparently frequently enjoyed playing with their poo when they were young uns, tossing it back and forth across the room and smearing it on the walls. Early art! Their very proper, upper East Side Manhattan mom was horrified of course. And, I've heard plenty of poo-playing and munching stories from other moms. It's a natural kind of exploring thing ala "I made this stuff -- now what all can I do with it?"

Also reminds me that no matter how civilized we humans think we are, or appear to be, we're still members of the animal kingdom. :-)

Courtney said...

Holy cow...I'm going to admit, that did turn my stomach a little and seeded some fears for the future. I'm glad Grayson seems to be OK! Whew.

soonersdad said...

Well this sounds really yummy!!!

Maybe Grayson thinks he has found his own Play-Doh machine. He did have fun playing with the Play-Doh at Lowe's Sunday. It's just a phase he is going through. Get ready for his Jackson Pollack phase to emerge with the poopy murals.

Love y'all Popper

M.N.Dodson said...

Your Grandmother say:
Sorry but this is only the first
"disgusting incident you will
encounter". Makes great family stories. Glad Grayson is o.k.
Give him a big hug from me.