Friday, December 17, 2010

And the Tony goes to...

Grayson's Christmas program was this afternoon and I think he may have stolen the show. The twos, threes and four-year-olds all came up on stage in the church's fellowship hall and took their marks.

I was surprised to see Grayson positioned on the front row near the center and was hoping that meant maybe he had done well in practice. As we would come to find out, practice does not always make perfect.

Before the teachers even kicked off the first song, Grayson was crying. And I don't mean a little stage fright, I'm talking wailing, "I want my mommy!!!" over and over and over. I was toward the back of the room and thought he may calm down once the singing started so I stayed where I was. Classic rookie mom mistake.

The wailing continued and grew louder so I went up close to the stage hoping that if he saw me there doing some of the hand motions he would get back into the performance. No good. He was having none of it and despite his teacher also trying every trick in the book to salvage his singing, Grayson managed to cry through the ENTIRE performance. All. Five. Songs.

Several other kids also sobbed here and there, but managed to pull it together for at least part of the performance. After it was all over, the kids left the stage and the parents stuck around to have snacks with them. Grayson kept running from our table up onto the stage like he couldn't get enough of it. Really?

One of the dads of another kid in Gray's class came over and said, "That was the greatest thing I've ever seen. Great job Grayson." And I have to admit it was pretty entertaining, just not in the way I was expecting.

To top it off, he sang most of the way home in the car. Nice touch, son.

Here are a few videos if you can stand the wailing. Grayson's on the right side in a green sweater. Even if you can't see him, you'll be able to hear him above all of the other 24 kids.









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess he's allowed to have a little stage freight!!!! This one will definitely be memorable. He still picked up the package perfectly! Great job my little sunshine! L, Pappa

Aunt Emmy said...

I think my favorite part is hearing you laugh while taking the video!

jenhumphreys said...

well at one of Blaynes when he was little all the kids decided to fight over the microphone and Blayne got pushed off the stage. If it were uneventful then it wouldnt be as much fun. love yall and cant wait til next weekend