Thursday, February 17, 2011

Good News & Bad News

Grayson and I are back from the doctor's office and after a few tests they determined that he doesn't have the flu. Instead, he has RSV.

Luckily his "big boy" body is able to handle this respiratory virus better than a baby would, so we're loaded up on cough medicine, an inhaler and ibuprofen to help stay on top of the symptoms before they get worse. The pediatrician also recommended I give Gray a breathing treatment in the office to help break up some of the crud in his lungs and cut down on the wheezing.

He flipped out at the beginning of the treatment, despite my attempts to tell him the mask was "awesome" and it was just like Buzz Lightyear's mask. When that didn't work, I showed him the "cool clouds" (aka vapors) that were coming out of the mask. Still no dice.

Finally, after having to basically pin down his arms while holding his head (aka one of the worst mom feelings ever) I was able to get the mask somewhat close to his mouth. I began singing some of his bedtime songs which calmed him down enough to realize the mask didn't hurt and it was all going to be okay. I really, really hope we don't end up needing more breathing treatments. I'm sure getting him to use the inhaler will be difficult enough.

To add insult to injury, our weather is going to be gorgeous the next few days and all I want to do is play outside with Grayson. So much for that idea.

Okay, enough of my pity party. Thanks for letting me vent!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope he's better real soon! u no who

jenhumphreys said...

so if you do wind up giving him breathing treatments do it when hes asleep. It helped so much with blayne. Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

So glad he is well enough to go to the Monster Truck Jam on Sunday! All would have been sick to have to miss that! Aunt KM

Anonymous said...

Monster Truck???? Next his fav phrase will be "Gitter done"!!! u know who