Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Eco-Activist in Training

For the past eight years I've volunteered for a couple of sustainability-related non-profit organizations. When we lived in St. Louis, I was on the board of an urban reforestation group called Forest ReLeaf. Then we moved back to Oklahoma and for the last five or so years I've worked with Sustainable OKC.

These groups have both taught me a great deal about the importance of getting involved in the community where you live, how people from very different backgrounds can bond over a joint cause, and the power that comes from individuals looking to make a difference.

Michael has been a trooper through it all and takes it in stride when I do things like volunteer him to completely redesign a website (which Forest ReLeaf still uses six years later) or wash dishes for hours at a fundraiser when he was promised a date night.

A few weeks ago we had the opportunity for Grayson to get in on the action. We attended a local event called Moving Planet OK which involved a festival and a walk/ride to support organizations and initiatives which move Oklahoma toward being a healthier, more sustainable state.

As a volunteer, I wasn't able to participate in the walk/ride, but Grayson and Daddy didn't miss the chance to pull out the bike and trailer to join in the festivities. See if you can spot them in the first video.

 

There were 170+ people in the walk/ride and even more at the festival, so overall it was a fun event and the weather was perfect! No matter the cause, I hope our son grows up understanding the importance of volunteerism, especially in a world where it's so easy to get caught up in the fast pace of life.



http://www.sustainableokc.org/green/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/moving-planet.jpg
(Unfortunately, I'm not sure who took this picture so I don't know who to credit. I swiped it off the Sustainable OKC website)

No comments: