Saturday, December 1, 2012

Raisin' Trouble

This past week we had my sisters, brothers-in-law and nephew Holten over for dinner to send off Ben before he reports for active duty at an Army base in North Carolina.

Gray and Holt were playing well all evening, in and out of Grayson's room and generally content. All of a sudden it got very quiet back in Gray's room so Michael went to check things out.

He found that the boys had snuck a box of raisins out of the pantry and were sticking them up their nose. Holt had one in each nostril which easily came out. Gray on the other hand had one lodged way up in his nose.

We think he was trying to get it out on his own and ended up lodging it further up the nostril. By the time Michael found them, Gray was realizing the fun was quickly turning into an issue.

Uncle Ben went into nurse mode and Uncle Levi went into firefighter/EMT mode, grabbing a flashlight and checking out the situation. Luckily, a few hard nose blows later and the raisin was out.

Michael and I then gave Gray a talk about why we don't stick things up our nose and I could tell by the relief in his eyes that he isn't planning to do that again anytime soon. Hopefully it scared him enough to not repeat it.

I was telling this story to my co-workers a few days later and realized that all of them with girls had never dealt with this situation, while the ones with boys could totally relate. What is it with little boys and the fascination with sticking things up their nose?

3 comments:

soonersdad said...

I was about a year older than Gray and stuck a pea up my nose. I was left at the table to finish my dinner. Instead it was more intriguing putting them up my nose and blowing them out. You guessed it, one got lodged deep and I could not blow it out. It got deeper as I tried to remove it. Mom came to the rescue because I was too quiet. She just used her long finger nail to get it out. So the the moral is: little boys left to their own devices for too long WILL get tired or bored of the regular toys and games. Eventually, they will come up with games of their own. Many times they can be fun. Occasionally, they turn out to be just goofy games, or down right scary to a child. These are good learning lessons. Plus later in life fantastic stories. And yes, I learned my lesson too. One pea was enough for me. I am pretty sure he has learned his lesson.

This is to Gray from Popper:
In the words of one of our illustrious presidents, "I feel your pain".

Anonymous said...

Aunt Em and Uncle Levi have got to be ecstatic to have 2 such shining examples for their soon to be anklebiter! unowho

gynecologist phoenix said...

I gained so many information here.