Sunday, August 11, 2013

Counting our blessings


This week, Michael celebrates his one-year anniversary of Quite Right Studio. I'm so proud of him and all that he's accomplished over the past 12 months.

As expected, it has been full of ups and downs, but we've faced them together and to our pleasant surprise, our savings account has lived to tell about it. Despite the inconsistency that working for yourself can bring, the flexibility more than makes up for it, allowing him to take an active role in Grayson's daily life while also giving us the ability to pick up and go on vacation without having to scrutinize over a limited number of vacation days like in the past.

Meanwhile, I've continued to face a long commute and daily grind leaving little energy left to enjoy making a home-cooked meal or tackling domestic duties, plus feeling mommy guilt for missing school parties, doctors visits and barely knowing Gray's teachers.

Each of our roles takes its toll on us and Gray in different ways. While I enjoy what I do for a living, it would be nice to pull back a bit to have more time to spend with Gray before he's at the age where hanging with the parents isn't cool.

I'm blessed to work for a company that was open-minded when I approached them about transitioning into a schedule that would shorten my hours (and pay, of course), allowing me to be home when Gray gets out of school from kindergarten.

My new schedule starts in a week and I'm really looking forward to picking Gray up from school and spending a few extra hours with him each day. The fact that this extra time doesn't come at the expense of a career I enjoy is such an added blessing.

I know we have a lot to figure out, both with our schedules and finances, but I'm confident we'll never regret stepping back and finding a way to show Gray that working hard is important as long as you don't forget who and what you're working for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats and good luck! unowho

Anonymous said...

So proud that you both have your priorities right on!
Love u,
Pappa

Anonymous said...

Know you will all enjoy every additional minute you have together daily! What a blessing for all! Proud of you 2 for stepping out to do this! Love to all=Aunt KM