Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Kindergarten: Day One

Well the big day finally arrived. Gray has been looking forward to kindergarten since the last day of pre-K. He woke up early to get dressed and eat breakfast which I figured he would since he was excited. 

We snapped a few pics before we left the house:

I saw some photos on Pinterest where kids held up a sign that shows how they write their name at the beginning of the year, plus what they want to be when they grow up. Of course, Gray couldn't decide on one career so he said, "a chef, cop, park ranger, fireman and bass player." Just to clarify, he meant upright bass like in the orchestra, not a bass guitar. 


He also dressed himself. Not exactly my choice for a first day ensemble, but he was happy and excited to wear his spiderman shoes and new t-shirt.

Most days, Daddy and Gray will bike to school, but we all walked together this morning to avoid the crazy first-day traffic. He also insisted on carrying his lunch bag instead of putting it in his nearly-empty backpack. I talked to him a lot about not throwing it away and bringing it home for tomorrow. I'm happy to report the lunch bag made it home after school, but with most of his PB&J sandwich still inside. Can't say I'm too surprised that he only ate his grapes, fruit gummies and juice box.

This is where Gray sits in the classroom. Right after we snapped this pic he was walking across the room and tripped over a chair which led to a total meltdown. Nothing like getting injured before the first bell rings. He had a small carpet burn on his elbow and knee, but we managed to calm him down before class began.

When I picked Gray up this afternoon, he told me he had a good day but the teacher said he had been all over the room and wasn't listening well. She thinks it's because he's young compared to the other kids, but I told her we'd talk to him about it tonight. 

Michael and I spoke with Gray about it and he said he was so excited he couldn't sit still, but that he would get a good report tomorrow. I'm not sure if that's really true or if he was just testing the teacher to learn his boundaries, but I'm hopeful it isn't a trend. We've threatened to take away a few favorite toys as insurance if tomorrow isn't better. Between the carpet burn meltdown and not staying put, I'm sure he made quite a first impression on his teacher. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds very familiar. I also had a very young kindergartener (almost 34 years ago). Don't be too hard on him. He'll be just fine. XOXO

Anonymous said...

First day jitters are over and now he can relax and focus. Know he will do great! Love to all-Aunt KM