Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Bill Nye, Jr.

These days, we have a lot of conversations with Gray about skeletons, dinosaurs and space/planets. He has a million questions and is a little sponge soaking it all up.

We gave him a small telescope for Christmas and each night he enjoys looking at Jupiter and its moons from our living room windows or talking with daddy about the cycles of the moon. Don't even get me started on the number of PBS specials they've watched about stars and planets. I walked into the room the other day and overheard Gray insisting to daddy that the thing they were watching on TV was a Super Nova. Sure enough, seconds later the voiceover confirmed it.

Last weekend, my parents also fed Gray's love of science by taking him to the local Museum of Osteology. This place is relatively new and I've never been there, but had heard lots of good things about it.

It definitely made an impression because Gray hasn't stopped talking about every detail of the exhibits.


This is an exhibit showing how beetles clean the bones in nature. It's one of the lessons Gray recalls for us in great detail on a daily basis.

An up-close shot of the skull that's getting cleaned by beetles. 

He loved the rhinoceros skeleton the most, but that picture came out blurry so I'm posting this one of the humpback whale skull instead. It's crazy big! And the best part is that the museum encourages you to touch all of the bones on display. The snake Gray is holding in the picture was his special souvenir from the museum gift shop. He now sleeps with it every night and insists on me kissing it goodnight when I tuck him in. I personally hate snakes and he loves to watch me squirm, even around a fake one.

I'd say this trip was a hit! Thank you Grandmama and Grandaddy for the memorable outing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a great time as well! It is so fun to watch him get so excited.

Love, Grandmama and Granddaddy