Thursday, April 16, 2009

Facing Rejection

I have to say, this whole parenting thing isn't as much fun once your child begins developing independence and begins rejecting your help or affection. Lately Grayson has demanded he hold his own bottle and really doesn't let me rock him at night anymore. 

Some nights he placates me for a few minutes in the rocking chair, but you can tell by the look on his face he'd rather be chillin with his giraffe friend and paci in his crib rather than rocking with old mom. Other nights he squirms and arches his back until you lay him in his crib and then he relaxes for bed. 

Right now he still "allows" me to hold him while he drinks his bottle, so I'm enjoying each and every feeding since I know the day will soon come that he doesn't want to cuddle while he eats. 

While these are extremely small signs of rejection compared to what we will inevitably face as he grows older and his parents grow less and less cool, they still are a bit of a buzz kill. 

No comments: