Monday, February 22, 2010

Girl Stuff

Today is my furlough day for work which is a political way to say leave without pay. What's a girl to do with time on her hands even though there's less money in her pocket? Shop of course!

Mike's probably reading this post holding his breath even though he knows I'm not much of a shopper, but I actually wasn't shopping for me. This month marks our niece Kayla's 8th birthday and our pseudo nephew Luke's 3rd birthday (he's technically a second cousin, but that's a minor detail). We also have a friend Eva turning 2, so it will be a big month of partying and cake!

I must say that shopping for both girls and a boy reminded me why God gave me a son. I'm just not very good at girl stuff. Even when I was young, I played office while my sisters played Barbies and school. My older sister loved paper dolls and my younger sister couldn't get enough baby dolls, while I enjoyed playing bank and grocery store with my cash register.

Even now I don't like to buy stereotypical girl gifts (sorry kiddos). I wandered the aisles of Toys R Us aimlessly for a while before finding some semi-educational and battery-free toys that I hope will be a hit. I guess only time will tell how they stack up to the My Little Ponies and Leap Frog video games.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do they still have roller skates? I guess I just showed my age; I mean roller blades? Great fun and a great outside activity. Maybe we can introduce Kayla to tennis fairly soon. You can show her your old tricks!!
Pappa