Thursday, February 4, 2010

Row Row

Grayson really likes to sing and even though I'm not much of a singer, he gets a kick out of it. Of course, we have to do hand motions with each song, so that's part of the fun as well.

Lately, after he finishes his breakfast I ask him if he wants to sing. He always replies, "yes, row row," so we start by singing "Row Row Row Your Boat." He kept doing a hand sign that I didn't know so I thought maybe it was sign language for "boat" or "row" that he picked up from school. He only does it for that song and he does it every single time.

I looked up various signs online and it wasn't matching any of the words I thought it might be. Finally I tried looking up variations of boat and came across the sign for sailboat here. Finally! I had uncovered the mysterious hand motion. That was almost exactly what Grayson did every time we sang the song.

So proud of him for remembering this new sign, I went to his class and told his teachers the story. They gave me a strange look and asked me to show them the hand motion. When I did they told me they've never signed "sailboat" to the class and instead showed me rowing motions they make for that song.

I have no idea where he picked this up or why he does it only for that song, but it happens to be correct so I'm chalking it up to Grayson being brilliant. There is just no other logical explanation.