Sunday, March 20, 2011

Knock on Wood

I'm hesitant to blog about this for fear of jinxing the situation, but Grayson seemed to turn a corner this week when it comes to potty training.

He has finally overcome his aversion to sitting on the potty and actually proactively asked to use the bathroom a couple of times at home over the last week. He wanted to try standing up and never did anything, but I was just happy he was interested in it at all.

While we were at Target last Thursday I took Grayson by the little boy underwear section and his eyes lit up when he saw the Lightening McQueen undies. I told him that's what big boys get to wear when they use the potty and keep their diaper dry. He didn't say much and we went on our way without me thinking any more about it.

Then as we were driving down to Houston on Friday, Gray decided he wanted to go with me to use the restroom when we stopped for gas. I figured we would go through the motions without much fuss, but to my surprise he used the potty like a pro without having any of the step stools, small training potty, or seat ring we use at home. I celebrated like a fool and even recruited several strangers in the women's restroom to join me in praising my big boy.

While on the potty, he surprised me once again by mentioning the Lightening McQueen underwear, so perhaps it's all starting to sink in.

Since then, Grayson has had multiple successes each day and loves to come out of the bathroom and share his news with everyone around him. He's also amassing a collection of Elmo stickers which seem to fuel his passion for this new life skill.

I'm not sure if it's the promise of Lightening McQueen underwear or if he's just putting all the pieces together, but something has clicked and I hope he continues to stay interested. Now I just need to stalk up on clorox wipes and hand sanitizer for all those public restrooms we'll be visiting.

3 comments:

katie said...

Go Grayson Go!

Anonymous said...

What a "Big Boy"!!!I guess sometimes good things happen when you least expect it. Way to go Gray. Hope your trip was safe.
L, Pappa

Anonymous said...

Grayson, You Rock!! I know those "special" undies are a
BIG deal! Congrats on mastering another life skill!Aunt KM