Tuesday, March 15, 2011

While I Was Gone

I returned home last night and for the record there's no better welcome than Grayson beaming from ear to ear while running at full steam to meet me coming out of the airport terminal.

Although he's still my sweet little boy, it didn't take long to realize a few things had changed during the five days I was away.

We were playing in his room when he picked up a toy phone and gave me a look like he wanted me to play along. I quickly obliged, making fake ringing sounds. He picked up and began a conversation which I thought was directed at me. Boy, was I wrong. Here's how it went:

Me: Ring, Ring. Ring, Ring.

Grayson: Hello? 

Me: Hi Grayson, what are you doing?

Grayson: I'm playing at my house. 

Me: I missed you, Grayson. 

Gray: I miss you too, Rhyann. 

Me: Who? Rhyann? Don't you mean I missed you mama?

Gray: No, I'm talking to Rhyann (a little girl in his class at school). I miss you. Want to play?

Me (testing the limits of this "relationship"): Sure, I like you Grayson. 

Gray: I love you, Rhyann. 

Me: You love Rhyann? Is she your girlfriend.

Gray (sheepishly): Yeah.

Me (overly enthusiastically): Let's play cars!

Then when I picked him up from school today he kept going on and on about seeing his brother Luke. I kept trying to explain that Luke was his cousin and not his brother, but he didn't seem to believe me. It seems Grayson gained a girlfriend and a brother while I was away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How quickly things change. Looks like he found his "bride" and best man in just 5 days! Being young is such a kick!
L, Pappa