Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Happiness in Bloom

Let me begin by saying peonies just plain make me happy. I love their bold colors and intricate layers which burst to life this time of year, releasing an amazing fragrance.

Every year when our peony bush blooms I kick myself for not having more planted around our yard. Since our azaleas are dwindling down, I really hope these peonies and our roses last through Easter weekend so I can use them for our table setting.


In other garden news, our little square-foot garden is beginning to show signs of life. We have onions, lettuce, zucchini and carrots beginning to peak out of the soil (the taller stems below are tomatoes I planted as seedlings which is kind of cheating).




The picture above shows a few zucchini seeds that have sprouted and the picture below is of some volunteer cucumbers that decided to grow in our back flowerbed along the fence line. I planted these two years ago without any luck, but they've come up with a vengeance this year so I'm curious to see how it turns out. I've also planted some sweet potatoes in this back bed, but it's some of the worst soil in our yard, making it my little veggie experiment.


Our rose bush is also in full bloom. I don't think I've ever seen so many huge roses bloom all at once on this bush. Thanks dad for hacking it back so much! Apparently, it liked it...a lot. 




Grayson enjoys going to check the garden with us every evening to see what has changed. Afterward he does a little digging of his own in the "tortoise andbox" aka our turtle sandbox. It's amazing to see the power of books come out in his vocabulary. He loves an Eric Carle book about a tortoise taking off its shell, which is why he chooses that word instead of turtle.

The two-year-old mind is a complex and entertaining thing! I can't wait to see his reaction when a cherry tomato pops out on the stem. He's going to have a whole new love for our garden once he realizes it's growing one of his favorite foods!


No comments: