Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hockey Time

I recently won tickets to a local hockey game from my office and we took Grayson with us on Sunday to watch the Oklahoma City Barons take on the Grand Rapids Griffins. The Barons are an AHL feeder team to the Edmonton Oilers.

There had been several home games in a row, plus an NBA Thunder game that evening so the crowd was a bit sparse. Grayson took it upon himself to make up for the small crowd and ensure the players felt encouraged.

He yelled things like:

"Go Oklahoma City!"
"We're #1"
 (and my favorite) "Let's go guys, get a home run!"

Michael and I didn't yell any of those things, so I have no idea where he came up with his inspiring words. In addition to enjoying yelling indoors, he also got a kick out of the players having to go in "time out" (aka the penalty box). Of course, I took the opportunity to explain that when you hit someone with your stick, even grown men get in trouble and have to go to time out. Gotta make every opportunity count, right?

Gray and Derrick (one of the team mascots) 

Encouraging the players 

Here's the view from our awesome seats. I worried a little about one of us getting smashed in the face with a flying puck, but once that fear subsided I enjoyed myself. 

No comments: