Friday, September 14, 2012

Caterpillar update


Charlie and Scooter have been in their chrysalises for almost a week now. Scooter went in first and then Charlie was the next day. You can see Charlie in the picture above getting ready for the big transition.

We missed Scooter shedding his/her skin to go into the chrysalis, but Michael caught Charlie's on video. It's took about 8 minutes which is much faster than I thought it would be. I can figure out how to post a video that large if anyone wants to see it.

It typically takes 7-14 days for the caterpillars to turn into monarch butterflies. Their chrysalis will turn from green into a translucent color right before they come out.

So far, they are both still green but we'll be sure to take pictures of the next phase. I'm excited to see the butterflies emerge for the beauty of it, but also so I can get the aquarium off my kitchen counter. It's set up right next to my mixer and the stove, and I'm too afraid to relocated it for fear of hurting them.

Ah, the things we do for science.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I want to see the video! This is so cool. Keep us updated!