Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Smarty pants

There have been a few moments recently where Grayson has surprised us by knowing things I didn't realize he knew. It always catches me off-guard and then causes a barrage of questions to identify where he picked it up. Here are a few examples:

  • Pledge of Allegiance: When we went to the OKC Philharmonic concert they handed out mini American flags for us to wave during the music. Michael asked Gray if he knew what the flag was and Gray started reciting the pledge. To our surprise, he knew all of the words and in the correct order! Yay pre-K!
  • Letters & spelling: Gray can write his first name well, but can now spell his middle name and most of his last name. He has also become a whiz at spelling short, three-letter words and identifying letters and numbers. I have a feeling that we're not far off from reading. He's already picking up on a few sight words. 
  • Worksheets: I was cleaning out Gray's backpack and found a couple of worksheets from pre-K. One had photos of items in rows that you had to count and then identify the number that corresponds. Another worksheet had rows of things that all had similarities except for one and he had to pick out the item that didn't belong. He had gotten everything on all the worksheets correct except for two questions that were blank. I'm curious to see how much assistance he had received (if any) to complete them.
  • Rotation of the Earth around the Sun: Last week while I was on a work trip, Michael was getting Gray ready for bed and used a flashlight and a globe to demonstrate how the earth spins and why we have day and night. I didn't know this little lesson had taken place and a few days later when I was tucking him in, Gray told me all about how we move around the sun, using great detail. He loves studying the globe and asks about what the people are like on all of the various continents. What a little sponge. 
  • And finally, Gray told me over the weekend that his fish are all dead. The way he said it was so cavalier and like he had known for weeks. I asked him a few more questions to see if it would lead to him wanting to get more fish and instead he went back to asking for a kitty cat. Dang it. As much trouble as the fish were, at least they didn't require a litter box.

3 comments:

Heather said...

He's YOUR kid, I am not surprised he is super smart.

You should pick up a set of those cards with the questions. I am drawing a blank on the name. Will look it up and send it to you.

Charlie loves them and I am shocked by what he knows. I bet Grayson would be the same.

Heather said...

Found it - Brain Quest. http://themommyhood.com/wordpress/2010/10/06/brain-quest-for-kids/

Lindsay said...

Great idea, Heather! I forgot about these. Gray busted out another surprise tonight, he knows our full address. I think it's time we up our game...bring on Brain Quest!