Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Courage, confidence and a bit of crazy



Michael and I think a lot about how our actions and our relationship set a precedent for Grayson. We try to not only tell him but also show him through our own actions how to have manners, show love and empathy, value quality time and not just things, etc.

While we aren't always perfect in leading by example, it's equally as important to also show him that sometimes mommies and daddies have to apologize too, or that you may have to make sacrifices or changes to reach our life goals.

Over the past six months, Michael and I have been navigating some career changes to try and attain that always elusive work/life balance. He escaped corporate cubicle land and started his own business last August, and has worked hard to build it while also taking on more daddy duties shuttling Gray to and from pre-K and daycare, covering sick days, coordinating home improvement projects and more.

I'm so proud of all that he has already accomplished and the new path he's blazing for himself and for our family. His company, Quite Right Studio, offers graphic design services, upholstery/furniture design, and he's also finally taking time to create some home goods that he's had in his head for the 12+ years I've known him.

Six months in, we've both learned a lot about ourselves, each other and how important it is to not only have dreams, but to take the often scary leap of faith in making them a reality. I know Gray is probably too young to understand all of the changes that have taken place in our house, but I hope one day he has the courage to try and realize his own dreams without being too afraid of failing.

As a friend recently said, it's the difference between making a living and making a life. I couldn't have put it better myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of both of you for having the dream and the courage to make this move! I know Grayson will profit from all of your choices in many ways.
Love to u 3!
Aunt KM

Anonymous said...

You two are wise beyond your years! I know you both will continue to thrive and will continue to be a great example to our boy!
L, Pappa