Saturday, July 24, 2010

Eat Your Vegetables

Several nights back we had a dinner of linguine with roasted pine nuts, garlic and zucchini. As we were eating our meal, I realized that Grayson was picking the bits of zucchini out of his bowl and eating them first.

My sisters and I grew up as very picky eaters and never in a million years did I imagine having a toddler who eats zucchini. I realize this may not last forever, but for now he has what I would consider a well-versed palate for a child.

Grayson loves tomatoes, strawberries, bananas, grapes, apples, corn, hummus, beans, potatoes, avocado and seafood while also tolerating zucchini, squash, green beans, cucumbers and pickles. He is satisfied with applesauce for dessert and can't seem to get enough milk.

I think a big part of him liking so many different foods is that we fed him mostly homemade baby food versus the jarred foods. Anyone who has ever smelled (much less tasted) jarred baby food can testify to how much better the real, pureed stuff is on the taste buds.

As Grayson grows, I really hope he continues to love and try a wide variety of foods. Next summer I think he'll be ready to be my garden helper and I'm already planning the fun foods I want him to see grow from a vine instead of thinking they only come from a store. With the way this kid gobbles up tomatoes, several cherry tomato plants are definitely in order.

No comments: