Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Until We Meet Again

Today we said goodbye to my Uncle Bill. He passed away very unexpectedly on Friday morning leaving our family shocked and heart-broken, but filled with memories and love from one special man.

I'm lucky to have lots and lots of fond memories of time spent with him over my lifetime, but two stand out in particular. One is when he and my Aunt Karen came to watch me play softball. I was in fifth or sixth grade and not a particularly great softball player, but nevertheless he yelled support from the bleachers like I was a starter for the Sooners (his favorite team ever), and there was no mistaking his voice.

I didn't realize they were making the long drive to come and watch my game, but once I heard him in the stands I made sure and gave an extra effort so he would be proud. My Uncle Bill had that effect on people, always providing the right amount of encouragement to bring out the best in someone.

The second memory that has been top of mind for me lately is when he and my aunt came to visit Michael and I in St. Louis. We were walking to a restaurant to eat dinner and a homeless person stopped us to ask for spare change. I was fairly used to it and quickly said something like "I'm sorry" and walked on, but my uncle not only stopped to give him some money, but also gave him a small business card with a few encouraging words about walking with Christ.

He didn't make a big deal about it, but used the opportunity to better someone's life (in more ways than one) without jumping on a soapbox. In the moment I thought to myself, what are the chances he'd happen to have one of those little cards with him when someone asked for money. Then I realized that's the point. He always carried a few with him so he would be prepared to serve Christ, however subtly, at a moment's notice.

One of the songs played at today's service was Heaven Was Needing A Hero and I have no doubt they now have one of the best.

No comments: