Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tricky

I've come to the conclusion that Grayson is reaching the age where he's too smart for his own good. I didn't think this would hit until the tween years, but we're nearly there.

The last several nights as I've been putting him to sleep he has finished his milk and then said, "poo poo." Of course the first night I got all excited and rushed him in to sit on the potty. After reading him another book while on the toilet (and nothing happening potty-wise) I went on to tuck him in.

Then tonight as I was going to lay him in his crib he said "poo poo" again. Now I know full well that he had already done his business for the day and I think that now he just knows that saying he needs to potty means he gets to delay going in his bed.

I don't want to make a habit of ignoring him when he says he needs to potty (since he is finally starting to proactively say it), but in this context I knew he was creating a diversion. Oh that boy. How can he be so smart already?

1 comment:

Me? A Mom? said...

Smart boy! Rosalie does a variation of this. When she does, I say, "Yep. When you need to poo poo we can go sit on the potty but I think right now you need to (go to bed/get in the car/whatever)." That way, I'm acknowledging that she's thinking about it but I don't have to bend to her every whim.