Thursday, July 15, 2010

Gentle Giants

We have been in mourning the last week over the loss of our beautiful backyard. I know it sounds dramatic and superficial, but we had two amazing oak trees that provided shade and beauty in the middle of the city. We may have cursed them at times when it came time to pick up their bountiful leaves in the Fall, but thanks to our electric company, OG+E, we will no longer have that problem.

This is what we came home to last week after not even being told that they were going to be trimming the easement along the powerlines.




The back half of both trees are literally gone, along with shade that kept Grayson's swing cool all day, cover that kept our shade tolerant landscaping and grass alive, and habitats for many families of cardinals, blue jays and squirrels (all of which haven't been around in the last week).

Our thick foliage view has now been replaced with sad looking trees and a wonderful view of the powerlines. I realize that trimming maintenance is necessary to enjoy the comforts of electricity, but the extent at which our trees were damaged is beyond words.

Mike and I came home and were literally in shock and sick about this. It's not like you can just call up the company and ask them to make the trees whole again. What took decades to grow was nearly killed in a few hours.

I do know that the company contracted to do the trimming was ABC Tree Trimming Service, so if you ever have a need for tree trimming you may want to stay far away from them. If you see their trucks around your neighborhood, I'd recommend staying home and supervising the trimming even though you won't get much notice. If only we had known...

4 comments:

Heather said...

I say that's high treeson! (Boo - okay that's really bad). I am so sorry about your trees. Shade is a precious commodity and the hacking of your beautiful trees is a total crime against nature!

Aaron said...

You should talk to my mom about this. The same thing happened to our old house and my mother almost went after the city for it. It is really sad, but I promise the tree will grow back :(

Jenkin said...

Straight up sue them. Go talk to an attorney, free of charge, and see if you have a case. You shouldn't suffer something like this on your property. There's a big difference between pruning and butchering.

Anonymous said...

WOW Linds and Mike....what a deal. Your beautiful backyard...I agree there's a difference between pruning and butchering...here in ATL with the literally billions of trees, this doesn't happen. Doubt there's a legal case here, but I would definitely go after the 'hackers' pocketbook....I'd file a major complaint against them with OG&E, copying the Norman Mayor's office, the Norman city manager, and the hacker's owners. Not only will this "possibly" get someone to 're-shape' the trees to not look so buthered, if pushed strongly, may get OG&E to cancel their contract with the hackers causing a loss of future income. I'd definitely pursue this....ok, had my say, now let me play with Grayson a little bit! Luv, ur favunkinhotlanta