Sunday, September 4, 2011

Birthday Bash

We hosted Grayson's 3rd birthday party today and despite some much-needed rain and a big drop in temperatures, it turned out to be a beautiful afternoon.

The day started off with some early presents from Nana and Popper. There's nothing better than getting a sneak peek at gifts when you're still in your jammies.


They got Gray a kid-tough camera and he immediately started snapping pictures of another gift which was a wooden statue he received from Michael's grandmother, MawMaw. I find it funny that he holds the camera up to his eye even though he's never seen a camera that uses a viewfinder. Even this little camera has a digital screen on the back to take and view pictures. I'll be sure to share any good photos he captures in future blog posts.

After nap time, the party guests started to arrive which was mostly family and a few friends. We kept things simple this year with just cake, ice cream and swimming. The theme was race cars and everything was checkered flags and cars of all kinds.

Grayson (like his parents) is lucky to have so many people who love him, especially his six grandparents and six great-grandparents.

Gray getting a ride from Nana (Michael's mom).

Gray with Grandmama (my mom) and Great Grandma (my grandma on my father's side)

Grayson and Pappa (my dad)

Grayson and his cousin Luke getting a sugar rush

Pappa and baby Jack checking out the action at the kids' table.

Aunt Karen enjoying some snuggles with baby Jack

Gray received lots of fun gifts and had some wonderful helpers when it came to opening his presents.

Luke directed the order of the present opening and Cora assisted with logistics such as dismantling ribbons and bows.

Next up, it was time to burn off some sugar in the swimming pool...


I realized tonight that I didn't get a single group shot of all the family or the kiddos. We usually take one every year, but it just completely slipped my mind. That said, Nana did capture a few pics of Gray's post-swimming ritual where we wrap him up like a burrito.


 
This is what one happy, lucky little boy looks like. 
 
Tonight after everyone went home and we were eating dinner, I asked Grayson if he had a fun day. He said, "Yeah, I did. Now I'm three." 

Yes, little man, it's official. You're three.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And a good time was had by all!!
Thanks Lindsay and Mike for being such great hosts as always. Glad I got to share this special birthday with you Gray. These three years have gone by soo fast I can't believe it. We are truly blessed to have so many friends and family.
L, Pappa