Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Doctor's Appointment Update

I'm now going to the doctor every two weeks and my latest appointment was this afternoon. We went through the usual routine and measured the baby's heartrate at 141 which is right on track. They also measure the size of my baby bump while lying down and I'm measuring slightly larger than 33 weeks.

I've been worried that the baby isn't turning head down like he should be, but the nurse reassured me that he has turned because the heartbeat is registering below my bellybutton. We've been able to feel some of his body parts very close to the surface lately, but what I thought was his head up underneath my belly button and lungs turns out is more likely his butt.

In any case, I'm relieved to hear he's not breach which is one less complication resulting in a C section.

We also discussed the possibility of scheduling an induction. Up until now, I hadn't really formed an opinion about whether or not I'd want to induce so it's something we need to discuss and consider prior to my next visit. There would be several physical milestones that would have to happen in order for my doctor to proceed with an induction, but one positive would be the fact that we could schedule the delivery for a day when my OBGYN is on call and could deliver our baby (an idea that very much appeals to me).

If we decide to go that route, it would probably happen sometime between Sept. 3-8. Since several sets of our parents have to travel from other states it would be convenient to schedule an induction, assuming the baby follows our plan as well. There are so many things to think about now that we're getting down to the wire.

On a different note, several of you have emailed me wanting an updated belly bump picture. Despite the 100+ heat and comments from co-workers that I look "a bit tired and run down" (as one woman so kindly put it), here you go:

Sadly, Roxy is actually in the red chair behind me sticking her head over the arm but you can't see her because of my belly.


4 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

Wow, you look super cute. All belly too.

Definitely read up on the pros and cons of inductions. I know it might seem convenient but if your body can go naturally, that's definitely the best thing for you and your baby. Of course, I had an induction with Rosalie but that was an entirely different situation. Maybe as your OB next time how long s/he would let you go past your due date. Some will go 2-3 weeks beyond (with frequent checks of fluid levels). That probably sounds unbearable right now...2-3 weeks...but it'd pay off in the end if you go naturally. Ok, getting off of my soap box now. :)

p.s. Happy belated birthday. It was yesterday, right??

Molly said...

Good Gravy, you look so damn cute! When do we get an update on your name choices?!?! Love to my gal Roxy! :)

Courtney said...

What a cute pic! Glad to hear that the little dude decided to work on his gymnastics and do a half somersault. Whatever and whenever it happens, just know that the Green's are here for you and can look after your other little baby if needed.

Erin said...

Hi Lindsay. You look great! It sounds like your baby is progressing along just as he should be. And yes, definitely read up on induction. Certainly, there are risks of an over-term baby, but if your doctor puts you on Pitocin, you can count on getting an epidural and your labor and delivery may move along slower than they would have otherwise. But to be honest, I had an induction scheduled, and I ended going into labor a couple days before. Good luck with your decision!