Tuesday, July 8, 2008

One Baby-filled Tuesday

Today seemed like it was all about baby. I started the day with my 8 month check up. The baby's heart rate was 137 and my doctor said his growth is right on track. I now start having regular check ups every two weeks and then around mid-August will go every week.

The more frequent appointments really make the time go by quickly which reaffirms that the baby's arrival is near. Today the doctor gave me a packet of info about labor and delivery. I asked if I need to write a "birth plan" (which is the latest trend for moms-to-be where you write out how you want the delivery to go...drugs/natural, different positions for comfort, use of IVs, catheter, etc.). The problem is I think the entire idea of a "birth plan" is a farce (hence why I only write it with quotation marks).

I mean no disrespect to those who feel relieved by having one, it's just that labor and delivery are probably the least likely thing in the world you can predict, especially your first time around. So I asked my OBGYN if I needed a "birth plan" and told her I thought they were a crock. She laughed and said she was glad I felt that way because everything I "planned" would likely fly out the window the moment the contractions start since the baby is running the show (for the most part).

We talked through things I can control like having drugs, playing music or a DVD in the room to help relax, learning different positions that might provide comfort during contractions and reduce the risk of a c-section, and so on. It helped knowing that my doctor and I are on the same page (plus we have a similar sense of humor that I'm sure will come in handy).

Then at work I decided it was time to start writing up my transition plan for when I'm on maternity leave. There are lots of regular deadlines which others will have to cover that weren't actually written anywhere on paper. Getting all of this info out of my head and into a document is helping me feel more prepared.

The baby-filled day ended with our second childbirth class. We reviewed the stages of labor and related terminology, then watched another wonderful birthing video. This time we followed Deborah's story which emphasized how long labor and delivery actually are for most women. Deborah began the stages of early labor around 8:15 a.m. and had her baby around 1:15 a.m. the next morning. And if this healthy dose of reality wasn't enough, she also had a natural birth so she was able to feel every second of pain throughout the day and night. So what if her baby girl was adorable in the end, that's really not what I took away from the story. 

Next week we're going to learn all about epidurals and other birth-related medications. I think it will be my favorite class yet. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember the Anesthesiologist is your best friend. Love yall Jen

Mr&MrsGreen said...

My two hour bike ride last night with an average heart rate of probably 137bpm seems nothing compared your baby Tuesday. Also, a kid that can have that high of a heart rate that early should defiantly be on a bike. Is it to early to recruit?

PS Deborah should riding in the Tour if she can endure that much pain

hegreen