Friday, July 11, 2008

A Dose of Humility

I've learned two very valuable pregnancy lessons this week. The first relates to proximity and how I am a terrible judge of it these days.

There have been numerous occasions of opening doors or cabinets thinking I had plenty of room, only to swipe by own belly. For a normal person this would result in thinking twice before you open something next time, but I have yet to learn my lesson and continue to graze all kinds of things past my baby bump.

The most embarrassing incident occurred when I had to step out of a meeting recently to go tell another colleague something. Seems innocent enough, right? Well the conference room door was cracked open with what I thought was plenty of room for me to squeeze through. Not so much. I totally didn't fit and there is NO playing that off in front of my coworkers. When I returned to the room they all stopped the conversation and got a big laugh over how badly I misjudged the space and nearly got stuck in the door.

The second lesson I've learned is that I'm completely losing any intelligence I once possessed. Last night we were enjoying a lovely game of Guesstures (think charades) with our dear friends Rob & Courtney. The girls were enjoying yet another victory over the boys (insert evil laugh here) but in the middle of my turn instead of acting out the word "cobra" I started acting out the animal "cougar" -- two very different things. Where has my mind gone? How did I confuse a cobra and a cougar?

As humbling as both of these lessons have been, I'm hoping it doesn't get worse before it gets better. At least I'm providing some mild comic relief to my coworkers and friends. All I can do is laugh along with them since it's just so darn silly.

No comments: