Sunday, July 6, 2008

Last Hurrah

We just returned home from a weekend in Houston which marked my last road trip until the baby comes. I'm now supposed to venture no further than 2 hours from the hospital. 

The long drive took its toll, but was well worth it to see Michael's family one last time while it's just the three of us (Roxy came too, of course). Two of his aunts threw us a wonderful baby shower which was co-ed no less and very entertaining. We played games, munched on an amazing spread of fresh fruit and breakfast sweets, and came home with a car-full of adorable baby gear. 

It is hard to believe that the next time we make that trip it will be with a baby boy in the back seat. It's all quickly becoming a reality and man, do I have a lot to do before we're ready! I'm sure most women feel that way, but if the baby were to come early I would not be prepared at home or at work. I'm sure things would work themselves out, but I might have a mental breakdown in the process.

To further emphasize how much the birth of our son is looming, when we were unloading the car tonight Michael asked if we should just keep the car seat in the car. It was one of the gifts we received and had eagerly strapped in to the back seat to check out the size and ease of use. It was no big deal when I thought we were just testing the equipment, but for some reason when he asked if we needed it permanently in the car "just in case" I must admit I silently panicked for a split second. 

Don't get me wrong, my pregnant body is growing more uncomfortable by the day but I still have so much to learn about what happens when the baby actually comes. I'm not entirely sure that feeling will ever completely go away which is also a bit nerve-racking. 

Enough of that for now. As the 60-day mark creeps up on us, I'm sure there will be more posts of a panicked mom-to-be. Maybe I'll feel a little better after Tuesday. I have another monthly check up as well as a childbirth class that night. Bring on the relaxation exercises!

Oh, before I sign off I should also mention that while in Houston Michael also acquired his old pellet gun from childhood. It's complete with a practice target that has little animal cutouts tied to strings so you can shoot them down and then pull them back up all from a safe distance. So now we have two pellet guns, handmade and store-bought targets yet no moles or mice have yet to be scared off. Apparently instead of tallying books Michael read, I should have been counting random firearm updates... 

No comments: