Thursday, January 8, 2009

Progress Report

I don't want to jinx it, but we made a little headway in the sleep department last night. 

Michael set up the pack-n-play in our bedroom and we gave it a whirl. It's a little cushier than Grayson's crib mattress, but not as soft as our bed, so I thought it might buy us some shut-eye since he seems to enjoy sleeping in our bed (with or without us). 

I rocked him until he was pretty much asleep, but then laid him down and he immediately opened his eyes and started smiling and laughing. Guess he was "playing opossum" as my mom would say. 

I tried patting him for a while to see if sleep would come again, but he was wide awake so I left him to explore his surroundings for a while. He finally fell asleep a little after 10 p.m. and I was able to tuck his left arm tight against his body and keep his right arm out again like the night before. 

He slept until 1:30 a.m. and had a very wet diaper so I changed him and began patting him some more. He was up off and on until 3 a.m. and then slept until 6 a.m. When he woke up at 6 a.m. I brought him in the bed with us and he slept until 7 a.m.! 

The more I've researched sleep techniques, the more I'm finding that it's common to have unexplainable sleep problems arise around 4 months. That combined with stopping the swaddling cold turkey really have the odds stacked against us, but I think we're finally making some headway. 

We'll find out tonight if this was a total fluke, but a glimmer of hope has been restored so I'm semi-rested and ready to continue this battle.Thanks to all of you for your calls of encouragement, prayers, posts and pretending you don't see the dark circles under our eyes.

1 comment:

Me? A Mom? said...

awesome news. Every little bit helps.

Putting him to bed drowsy but not asleep is the way to go. It will teach him how to naturally fall asleep without relying on you or Mike. ::thumbs up::

Hope tonight goes even better for you!