Friday, May 7, 2010

Changing of the Seasons

I read a quote in a newspaper article this week comparing life to the changing seasons. It wasn't referring to aging necessarily, but more like looking at daily life as an ebb and flow that is constantly evolving and therefore we should learn to roll along with it by anticipating and embracing change, even if it means embracing the unknown. The quote was timely since this weekend marks several life changing occasions for us.

Of course, the obvious is Mother's Day for which I have found new and special meaning these last few years. Not only am I even more grateful for my mother, step-mother, mother-in-law and numerous aunts, grandmothers and great-aunts/grandmothers that have influenced my life, but I am also blessed to have many wonderful friends that are mothers and confidants beside me.

This weekend also marks a couple of other life changes in our house, two of which fell on the same weekend six years ago to the day. Saturday is our sixth wedding anniversary (and tenth year together) and Sunday is the six year "anniversary" of when we learned of my father's cancer. Not wanting to ruin our wedding day (which happened to be a surprise ceremony for our friends and family), my dad waited until the next day to surprise us with the news that he was beginning cancer treatment the following week.

Thankfully, my dad has been in remission for several years now but this time of year always reminds me of life's ebbs and flows which can take us from joy to fear to a whole range of emotions which hopefully eventually lead back to joy again.

Whatever season you may be experiencing in your life at the moment, I hope you will embrace it -- maybe even take time to celebrate it -- and learn from it what you can. Since we cannot control the weather, all we can focus on is our ability to adapt. And maybe dress in layers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your beautiful words. I am so thankful to have all of you in my life and truly do treasure each day. It also makes turning the big 6 0 this year even more rewarding. Hope your trip to Houston was good and you enjoyed your big day yesterday. Let's skype sooon!
L, Pappa

grandmother said...

Your insight into the seasons of our lives was so appropro. Just this morning I mentionedto a friend how I love my life and the age of 82.I am also proud to be a part of your family.
Love,
Grandmother
P.S.Ilove your blog and the pictures of Grayson