Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Superstition

As you've probably seen in the news recently, our area has had several rounds of tornadoes and severe weather. Tonight was yet another day of storm outbreaks, but we (and our house) got through it unscathed.

Growing up in Oklahoma, I pay attention to the weather coverage but don't get overly worked up about it. Now that we have an extremely anxious dog and small child to also protect, I will admit I've cleaned out the interior hall closet in case we need to take quick cover.

Tonight I realized something about myself when it comes to tornado alerts -- I've subconsciously developed a superstitious routine. If I'm barefoot I always put on shoes (and always the same pair of sneakers) and I place some pillows in the hallway. We have yet to actually "take cover" in the hall, but somehow going through this routine makes me feel like it will keep the tornadoes at bay.

Hopefully by writing this down I'm not jinxing our house. I share this in case it's the secret recipe for redirecting severe weather. Feel free to give it a try.

No comments: