Thursday, June 3, 2010

Crib Streaker

Like his shoes, Grayson has learned to take off his clothes and (unfortunately) his diaper. Usually, this isn't a big deal because he does it in preparation for a bath or to change into his pajamas. That was, until tonight.

I put Gray down for bed using our normal routine and after laying him down in his crib, left the room without him making a peep. He was quiet for about 15 minutes and then all of a sudden began crying. I thought it may have been because our neighbor had just begun mowing his lawn which is close to Grayson's bedroom.

The cries turned quickly into a more desperate sounding scream and I rushed in the room to find him sans pajama pants and diaper. Once I turned on the light I realized he had pooped which is probably why he took off his diaper in the first place, but since he's not the most careful clothing-taker-offer he had created quite a mess.

I think he was crying because he didn't know what to do. He knew he wasn't supposed to take all of that off, but he also couldn't go to sleep that way. I didn't get on to him since he seemed scared enough by not being able to fix the situation so I changed the sheets, got him a new diaper and pajamas, and rocked him a little to settle him back down.

I feel like this whole diaper situation is the latest step in his fascination with the toilet and going potty. We weren't planning to move into potty training mode until the end of the year, but I'm wondering if all of this is a sign that he's ready to begin or is it just a development stage. He loves supervising Michael and I using the bathroom and likes to wave bye to the toilet after its flushed.

We've begun associating words with the potty and with whatever happens in his diaper, but I'm still not sure he is at the point where he would "get it" proactively before he needs to go.

Any thoughts from those of you potty training experts out there? Help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try it and if he doesn't get it stop. I think since Grayson knows that he needs changing and takes the diaper off,it may be time to give it a shot. He seems to go a long time between needing changed, so he is displaying some control.
Good Luck! Mom