Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stream of Consciousness

I'm back at work this week despite my sister, niece, nephew and dad still staying with us. We've been packing a lot into our time together, leaving no time to even think about posting updates.

There are lots of moments I want to capture, but honestly I'm so tired and distracted that I don't really have the energy to cleverly record everything. Here are a few updates in no particular order:
  • Grayson is beginning to say a lot of two-word sentences. His current favorite is "Go daddy go!" which probably means Michael drives too fast. Most of the time we hear this phrase while stopped at a stoplight or exiting the interstate and making the roundabout.
  • My sister took my 8-year-old niece Kayla on a tour of the OU campus today. Amy told her about dorm life and how the rooms are shared and Kayla said no thanks...she plans on living with us when attending OU. While I hope that she does become a Sooner when the time comes and I'd love for her to stay with us, I doubt she'll still want to live with her boring old aunt and uncle.
  • My nephew Holten is a blue-eyed, laid back kiddo, but I've also discovered he's a stubborn faker just like his mama. He loves to cruise around the room, but refuses to take any unassisted steps. He's strong enough and capable, but when you try to get him to walk from one person to another his legs suddenly become noodles and he acts like he doesn't even know how to stand. Just like his mama, he's going to do things on his own terms (but he's so cute and cuddly that I'm forced to play along and hold him).
  • Earlier this week Grayson passed an elevator at his school and curiously pushed the button. The doors immediately opened and he was so scared by it that he ran to the closest teacher (in the nursery) to take cover. The other nearby teachers had a good laugh for the rest of the day.
  • Last night Grayson woke up at 2:30 a.m. crying and saying "mine!" When I went in to check on him he was reaching for a plastic blow-up lion toy that sits in the corner of his room. He wanted it in his crib, but since it's big and plastic there was no way I was going to allow that. After letting him get down and give the lion a hug, I quickly collected a few nearby stuffed animals he could cuddle up next to. The down side to him being able to verbally communicate is that when we don't give in to his requests, a meltdown usually ensues (particularly in the middle of the night). Fun times.
  • Gray loves to sit on his little potty. We have yet to commit to actual potty training (we're in the self-imposed "learning about the potty" stage), but he likes to sit on it in the mornings when we get ready for work. I probably should mention he's fully clothed while doing this. I know this is yet another sign that he's ready to get serious about training, I just can't seem to get my mind wrapped around the idea.

No comments: