Monday, July 18, 2011

Next stop, NRA

Today when I picked Grayson up from school we were hugging hello when another little boy came over to us. He was carrying a Lego creation, and judging from his sound effects he was pretending it was a gun.

Curious to see if Grayson picked up on this, I asked him what the boy was holding. He nonchalantly replied, "a gun." Meanwhile the boy started jamming it into my leg like he was shooting me. Nice.

I asked Gray where he learned about guns and he just smiled like he knew he'd been busted knowing something he shouldn't. I dropped the subject and brought it up again later, asking what he thinks of guns.

All I could get out of him was they are used by bad guys for shooting. I know this is a part of growing up, especially for boys, but I must admit I've been dreading the moment that he discovered guns. The logical side of me knows it's inevitable, but the uber-protective mom inside of me wants to shield him from anything related to "bad guys" (especially since he's not even three yet).

I also didn't grow up around guns or hunting like Michael did, so I've pretty much avoided the subject altogether. I had even purchased water squirter tube thingys instead of water guns for the pool in a deliberate attempt to delay this moment a bit longer. So much for that idea.

No comments: