Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Only Constant is Change

I don't know much about numerology or the energy of the universe, but I've recently been feeling off kilter on many fronts and find myself seeking change.

I've never been one to fear change, yet thinking about the unknown can be downright fretful if I let it consume my thoughts. So instead, I try to focus on change as an opportunity to grow.

One big change coming to our family is that tomorrow is Grayson's last day at his school. As difficult as it is to enter into an unknown situation (especially when it comes to your child), I know that this move will be better for him in the long run.

A spot opened up at a school close to our house which has a top-notch preschool and feeds into the local public school's pre-K program as well. The down side is that I have to give up spending my commute with him in the car with me.

While I'm the first to admit there are times when his endless talking and questions during the 45-minute commute borders on mild torture after a long day, I know I'll miss my chatty backseat companion when I'm sitting bumper-to-bumper and surrounded by silence.

Then there's the incessant worry about if this school will live up to our expectations, what happens if I'm 20 miles away and can't get to him quickly, and so on until I make myself crazy.

But for now I'm trying to focus on the positives and keep myself open to change. What good is life if you don't take a few leaps of faith now and then, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

U'll both be fine, there will always be adjustments, but u'll be gr8!!! Remember, not all change is like "Washington".... unowho

Anonymous said...

Hope his and your first day went well at his new school. First days at a new school are usually the toughest, so keep that in mind! Maybe we can skype later and we can catch up. Miss you guys.
L, Pappa