Saturday, July 16, 2011

Placebo Effect

Grayson was diagnosed with swimmers ear on Friday and it has allowed us to make an amazing discovery. We have to put drops in his ear twice a day and when we do so he lays down (hardly moving) until you tell him to get up. 

So of course I started giving him his second dose of the day right before bedtime. Cold turkey, he quit getting out of bed 10 times a night for various reasons and stays right where we put him (which is nothing short of a miracle).

The doctor told us to give him the drops for seven days and then mix up an alcohol/vinegar solution to drop in his ear after swimming. I'm tempted to make this part of our bedtime routine (regardless of swimming) if it means we won't have to go through 45-60 minutes of delay tactics and catching him creep down the hallway each night.

On a scale of 1-10, how bad is that?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say 2.I mean after all, if he gets to sleep sooner and with less chance of having a mishap in the dark, then, how bad can it be? I know this is too tempting to resist! Too funny.
L, Pappa

Aaron said...

Obviously, I'm no expert... and others reading this have much more experience than me, but what if he ends up developing a dependency on the drops? His college roommate is going to have a field day with that one!!

Much love from the west coast!
Aaron

Anonymous said...

For the alcohol solution, I suggest Makers Mark or Wellers....but know you hate to waste good alcohol on ears!!! unowho

Keenan said...

Hi there! Quick question...how did you know he had swimmer's ear? Did he say it hurt or were there other signs you noticed? Luke swims everyday, and I worry about that. Thanks, and I hope Grayson feels better!

PS- if it helps him sleep...I would be all for it! :)

erin said...

I would not say that it is a bad thing at all. As long as it doesn't cause harm, then it cant be a bad thing! maybe slowly wean him off the solution after a while to see if he stays in bed, but as long as he is not in any danger, then go for it! Everyone has an opinion about how to parent, but youre Greyson's parents, and you get the final say so....