Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Giggle Box

I've uncovered a side effect of pregnancy that is rarely discussed -- uncontrollable giggling. None of my pregnancy books or other literature have ever covered the topic of laughing to the point it becomes almost obscene.

It has happened several times... Mike and I will be carrying on a normal conversation and he'll say something funny or I'll catch him being silly and I cannot control my laughter. I don't mean a few belly laughs, this is full-on serious giggling that doesn't even sound like myself. The first time this happened Mike couldn't figure out what had come over me. It was like I was a totally different person with a strange laugh that had overtaken my body. 

I didn't think much of it afterward, but when the incident occurred a second and third time I decided to Google giggling and pregnancy to see if this was normal. It may be safe to say you can find anything on the Internet and this was no exception. I found mom blogs and pregnancy websites with lengthy postings about others like me who have been invaded by laughter yet nobody can really explain the cause.

There are a lot of pregnancy side effects that are not this enjoyable, but I do have to be careful not to let the giggle urge kick in at work meetings or other inappropriate settings. This was the case a few weeks ago when my boss and I both nearly lost it while meeting with our executive director about some marketing materials. She made a sly comment under her breath and I had to avoid looking her in the eye and focus on something else so my giggling wouldn't get me in trouble. 

Next time I'm around any of you, please accept my apology now if I start to giggle like a giddy schoolgirl at something barely funny or flat out inappropriate. I really cannot help myself so you'll just have to laugh along with me. 

No comments: