Saturday, May 31, 2008

Belly Button Evolution

Before I became pregnant I used to see pictures of other expextant women and always thought it was kinda cute when their belly buttons changed from an inny to an outie the closer they came to giving birth. It reminds me of an oven timer going off or how you know when a turkey is done baking.

Well, I really hadn't thought much about that actually happening to me until I looked in the mirror this morning. I was going through my daily aftershower ritual of applying anti-stretchmark cream to my belly (so far so good in that department) when I realized my belly button is about half as deep as it usually is.

My belly button is shaped in a way where I've never actually seen the bottom. It just kind of tapers off into a dark abyss. Over the next few weeks, I have a feeling I'm going to finally uncover the lifelong mystery of what lies at the bottom of my belly button.

It's amazing that 24 hours could bring such dramatic physical change to such a small body part. I guess this is yet another sign that the baby is growing at a very rapid rate these days. The books say the baby is around 2 lbs. and can even open its eyes now. Kinda creepy.

2 comments:

Michael Vidrine said...

I am really hoping that your belly button is a gateway to another dimension. How cool would that be!

Oh man, the endless possibilities that would hold.

Keenan said...

The belly button thing scares me. Mine is almost completely flat right now, and that means the only place to go from here is out! Freaky. I heard about these things called "popper stoppers" like a bandaid to flatten it out so it doesn't show through your cute preggo tops! They think of everything. :)