Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day!

I hope all the moms that read this blog have a wonderful day of pampering and relaxation! I know one mom who is in labor probably as we speak, but in the end will be one happy mama. 

I've been meaning to post the last few days, but there has been so much going on that I'm exhausted by the end of the day. Here's a rundown of the latest and greatest in our small part of the world:

Thursday
This was Mike and I's fourth wedding anniversary and to top it off I had a monthly check-up for the baby. Everything went well at the OBGYN's office. When they checked for the heartbeat the baby kept kicking the microphone which let out a "whomp, whomp" each time. He finally settled down enough to get a reading which was once again 143. Everything else checked out okay so I hit the road.

That evening, Mike surprised me with a pale pink stargazer lily plant that smells wonderful and is blooming like crazy. He suggested we plant it outside our back window as a memento of our anniversary (yes, he can be very thoughtful despite his opposition to daddy books). As a special treat he ordered red wine at dinner (a luxury for him nowadays) and we topped off the evening catching up with our friends Rob & Courtney. 

Friday
Nothing too incredibly exciting happened Friday, we were just thankful for the weekend. Mike was achy after work and thought he was catching a cold so he proceeded to veg out for the evening while I catered to his food and OJ cravings in between researching baby gear. 

Saturday
The moment of truth finally arrived...baby registry day. Suffice it to say it was a good thing we rested up Friday night because this process is a marathon, not a sprint. We got to Babies R Us in the city at 9:40 a.m. and finally left around noon. My mom and sister Emily met up with us which was extremely helpful since I'm prone to asking questions like, "why do we need a first aid kit with a baby toothbrush, they don't have teeth?" After an eye roll from another customer in the aisle my mom patiently explained that you need brush the baby's gums. Who knew? Just another reason I still need my  mom. 

Overall, Mike did really well during the registry process. He liked using the scan gun and his favorite part was leaving so he could be rewarded with an ice cold Dr. Pepper. I didn't have the heart (or the energy) to go to Target for the rest of our registry needs. That will have to wait for another day. 

We enjoyed having dinner with my dad's side of the family Saturday night and then had lunch with my immediate family and Grandmama Solomon today. It was a nice treat to catch up with everyone and made me thankful that we are now living so close to family. It's crazy to think that next year I'll officially be celebrating my first year as a mother. 

Well, that's the latest from here. I should probably go take Mike some water and encouragement for the yard work he's so eagerly tackling at the moment. Other than dead-heading some plants, I really can't offer much other assistance. 

2 comments:

Courtney said...

We had fun hanging out this weekend and enjoyed hearing about the registry adventures. We'll see you in a few weeks. Maybe we can go for a swim when we return.

Anonymous said...

be careful registering at Target. Make sure you get a gift reciept for everything just in case. Been there done that. they will not take anything back with out it. I am now boycotting Target with a passion right now and i love that place.

Love ya
Jennifer