Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ultimate Courage or Stupidity (you be the judge)

Last night I bit the bullet and bravely went where no woman likes to go (much less a pregnant one)...swim suit shopping. 

I was innocently perusing the maternity section at Target when I  ran smack into the bathing suit section. I have been successfully avoiding those racks for a while now, but the time is quickly coming where I'll actually be stepping foot into a swimming pool. 

We're visiting my parents in Mississippi this weekend (whohoo!) and my dad spent this week opening their pool. I'm not sure it will be warm enough to swim yet, but our pool will be opening shortly and I'm also going on a business trip to Las Vegas in two weeks. Since most of the Vegas entertainment involves drinking and/or smoke-filled venues, I'll probably be occupying much of my downtime by the pool (much to the dismay of the other hotel guests I'm sure). 

After combing through the suit racks, I decided I didn't have the energy to go with a one piece. It's just too complicated when you're wet and have to quickly pee plus I don't think it would be as forgiving as I grow larger. Nobody wants to see spandex stretch in such a way. 

So I opted for a "tankini" style suit with a halter top that can adjust as I grow. Optimistically I headed into the dressing room and was pleasantly surprised at my reflection until I caught a glimpse of my backside (thanks to a mirror behind me that I didn't know was there). Wow, I'm now fully aware of where all that extra fat storage has been hiding...my thighs. 

I tried to stay focused on the front view and quickly put my regular clothes back on before I talked myself out of swimming this summer altogether. 

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Girl, you better stop this nonsense because:

(a) you look great
(b) you are pregnant and you can do whatever you want
(c) the water will make you feel great, especially as the baby grows

Now jump (wait no, slowly take the steps in) in that pool and enjoy yourself - you deserve it! Everyone loves seeing a happy pregnant woman and you will be the talk of the pool, in a good way! :)

Keenan said...

Those Target mirrors are sneaky! I bought a couple of suits there too. This is gonna be one hot summer for us, so the tankinis will be much needed as we get bigger and the weather gets hotter!