Saturday, November 15, 2008

Survival Guide

After my recent submersion back into the workforce, I've picked up the following tips to help me try to get a handle on our new schedule.

1. Preparation is key. The more I can do in the evenings helps me be less crazy the next morning. This includes preparing Grayson's bottles, cleaning and preparing all of my nursing pump equipment, packing my lunch, and even thinking about what I'm going to cook for dinner or wear the next day.

2. Stay hydrated. It feels like I'm constantly thirsty due to all of the water that goes to my milk supply, so I try to carry around a large nalgene bottle at all times.

3. Anticipate a mid-afternoon slump. By 3 p.m. I'm in desperate need of some caffeine or sugar so instead of heading for the vending machine I'm trying to stash somewhat healthy snacks at work to give me a much-needed energy boost.

4. Don't sweat the small stuff. This includes things like leaving the dinner dishes for a bit to go play with my family or not micro-managing Michael as he dresses Grayson in the morning.

5. Remember this too shall pass (and quickly). It's amazing how much Grayson has changed in only 12 weeks which makes me try to savor everything he does -- even the not so fun stuff. 

So those are the life lessons I've learned this week. Right when I seem to get things figured out they change, but such is life. 

1 comment:

Me? A Mom? said...

yep, you're a smart cookie. These are spot on - especially the one about letting Mike do things his way. JLT told me once that "Daddies do it differently" and she was right. Best to give him the space he needs to figure out the dad thing.

Oh, and a good afternon snack recommendation...oatmeal, specifically cinnamon roll oatmeal from quaker. Yum, yum, yum. Plus it boosts your milk supply. BONUS!!