Friday, November 28, 2008

That New Office Supply Smell

Throughout life, there are scents that evoke happiness. For some it's a new car, or the smell of gasoline (which I personally despise), leather or fabric softener...but I prefer the smell of office supplies. Yes, I'm a weirdo, but opening a pack of sticky notes or stepping in to Office Max brings me great joy.

Even as a child I loved the start of each school year and the promise of fresh pencils, trapper keepers, and notebook paper. Some may read into this as signifying new beginnings. While that's very profound, I really think I just like the order and organization that school/office supplies represent. I know this is strange, but I simply can't help it.

As a new parent I've discovered I love Grayson's scent too. Not just the typical "baby smell" like Johnson & Johnson shampoo, but even oddball things like his breath. It may sound crazy, but it brings me such comfort and joy to smell his milky breath. I'm sure it has something to do with pheromones or a similar DNA source, but I just love it.

Yes, I know this is abnormal and I've probably scared off half my readers, but I don't care. Chalk it up to being a crazy mom.

2 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

well if that's abnormal, then I guess I am too. But honestly I think every mother can relate to this.

Anonymous said...

Nice post..! Well, Office Max is my favorite too.