Thursday, February 5, 2009

"If Mama isn't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

It's been a rough week in our household. Michael kicked things off with a stomach bug on Sunday which I picked up on Monday. Well, it's now Thursday and I'm just getting around to having the strength to shower and make it nearly through a day back at work. 

Yes, what was a quick-to-pass stomach "bug" for Michael was the full fledged stomach flu for me (plus a urinary track infection thrown in for fun). It reminded me of my first trimester pregnancy days when I was constantly scoping out the nearest trash can or toilet should the urge arise at a moment's notice. 

As if these violent episodes and dehydration weren't enough, my illness meant I couldn't touch or hold Grayson. Not only was that rough on me, but it meant that Michael had to be a full-time working, single parent. No easy task! He'd come home after working a full day and between feeding, entertaining or rocking our son, he also had to nurse me back to health. 

I'm feeling a lot better today (finally), but am still very weak and the medicine I'm on compounds the problem with a serious dose of drowsiness as a side effect. In addition, I'm working up to eating a full meal beyond my newfound staples of Gatorade and dry toast.

When we went to drop Grayson off at daycare this morning his teachers asked how I was doing and noted he's been acting a little different lately, almost fussy, like he missed his mama. Well, that certainly makes two of us! I know he was in the best hands with his daddy, but the sudden routine change was wearing on us all. 

Hopefully the worst of it is behind us. Michael "let" me put Grayson to bed this evening (as long as I promised not to kiss him) and I think all three of us enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Keenan said...

You poor thing! We both got the lovely stomach bug too, but Luke was safe--thank goodness. Hopefully you can rest and get better this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Poor Baby!!! Glad you're both feeling better and will have a good Chinese dinner tonight. That's probably payback for all of your meanness to your favorite uncle when you were growing up!! Heading west next Tues via MS so hope you're better by then so I can spoil my great-nephew (ok, both of them as can't forget Luke). Feel better and give Grayson a hug for me! Love, Unk Sam