Monday, August 1, 2011

First Day=Done

I must admit, I'm glad today is over and Gray's first day at his new school is behind us. Michael went with me to drop him off this morning and it all went smoothly. (I also managed to hold it together on my commute as long as I didn't look at the empty car seat in my rear view mirror.)

When we got to school Grayson showed daddy all the toys and areas of his new classroom and then he quickly focused on playing with a dump truck. As we were hugging him bye a little girl came over right as I was telling Gray to have fun playing with the new toys.

She quickly chimed in, "These toys are not new." (said in a very matter-of-fact way)

Quickly trying to salvage the peaceful morning, I turned to her and said, "Well, they are new to him. This is Grayson. Why don't you show him the toys you like to play with and which ones are the best."

Luckily, she took the bait and quickly warmed to both of us. Whew! Michael and I took the opportunity to quickly exit and leave Grayson content to play in the new room.

When I picked him up this afternoon, it was a different story. He was sobbing and had a scrape on his knee that was slightly bleeding. They had just come in from the playground and he tripped and fell on his way in.

The teacher had cleaned it, but he was adamant about not wanting a bandaid so she didn't force the issue. Instead, he was saying (between his sobs), "Close it. Close it." (meaning make the skin stop looking red, I guess)

We came home and I was able to get him to calm down enough to put some medicine and a bandaid on his knee. I haven't been able to get much more information out of him other than he ate "fruits and vegetables" for lunch, didn't take a nap (probably the reason he freaked out so much about his knee), sat on the "oval carpet and tried to make a fire like a firefighter," and he used the potty without the teacher having to help him.

Overall, I guess it was a good day. This school doesn't do daily reports for the parents in the preschool room, so it's hard not knowing how his day really went. The afternoon teacher that's there when I pick him up had only been there a short while, so she really didn't know what kind of day he had.

Guess I'll get the full scoop when I drop him off tomorrow morning and speak to his two main teachers. For now, I have to focus on getting him to walk again on his own. He's convinced that having a bandaid on his knee means I have to carry him everywhere. Aye yie yie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Grayson, hope today goes well and that wounded knee heals quickly!! Leave it to a woman to get involved in your business of the "new" toys!! LOL Have a fun day and good luck mommy and daddy! unowho